Patient safety is the prevention of errors and adverse effects to patients associated with health care.
Questions to ask your Plastic Surgeon :
Here is a brief checklist of questions you can ask your surgeon during the consultation. This is important to ensure your safety and satisfaction while contemplating a plastic surgical procedure :
Important facts :
- Are you a member of the Association of Plastic Surgeons of India?
- Were you trained specifically in the field of plastic surgery?
- How many years of plastic surgery training have you had?
- Do you have hospital privileges to perform this procedure? If so, at which hospitals?
- How many procedures of this type have you performed?
- Am I a good candidate for this procedure?
- Where and how will you perform my procedure?
- How long of a recovery period can I expect, and what kind of help will I need during my recovery?
- What are the risks and complications associated with my procedure?
- How are complications handled?
Plastic surgical procedures may require sedation or general anesthesia. Therefore, a full medical history including diagnostic tests is recommended. Part of this medical history requires that you provide candid answers to questions about your general state of health, including :
- A full disclosure of health history including any illness, prior surgery of any kind and complications from prior surgery
- All types of allergies and any reaction to prior anesthesia
- Current medications, the use of vitamins, alcohol, tobacco etc
- The use of oral contraceptives by women
Before surgery, you must follow all of your plastic surgeon's instructions. This may include :
- Cessation of smoking
- Stop taking certain types of medications that may increase your risk of abnormal bleeding
On the day of surgery, you may be asked to :
- Avoid eating or drinking anything within a defined time period prior to surgery
Follow all the postoperative instructions carefully. Your cooperation will inﬂuence the outcome of your surgery.